Thursday, May 11, 2017

Reading Psalms

   The book of Psalms in the Old Testament contains a variety of ancient Hebrew poetry which includes worship songs, prayers for deliverance from trouble, confession of sin, thanksgiving and much more. Some time ago I realized there are many Psalms that are as good, if not better, than any daily devotional I might read. But not all are written for that purpose, so it is good to be choosy. My daily reading now begins with a stanza from Psalm 119 and a selection of the other Psalms. These are read purposefully and prayed through, often aloud. I've found, as so many have through the centuries, no other expressions of faith, praise, thanksgiving and supplication in pursuit of a daily connection with the Almighty to be superior. 
   When we pray through Psalms we are reminded and we affirm it is only God who helps us; only His word that revives us; only His justice that rights the wrongs of the world; only He who is worthy of our adoration and praise; only His fellowship that gladdens our heart, quiets our soul and calms our mind.
   God bids us to do one thing in life, listen to Him. Listen means hear and obey. The very first Psalm tells us that those who listen to God's word are blessed. All the metaphors of scripture as to how that becomes real in our life aim to convey that simple relationship. Jesus put it this way, "Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you shall find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden light." (Matthew 11:28-30)
  How do we follow our Savior? We learn from Him. How do we learn? We listen and obey. It is the heart of a living relationship with our loving God.

1 comment:

Jeff Landis said...

Thanks, Ken. I too have found the Psalms to be a wonderful source of devotional thought. It is a great comfort to see God's people have endured everything I am enduring and give me direction for how to respond.